January 2018: Call to Action
Please watch this video.
Here are three easy things that YOU can do right NOW
to help end family court trauma!
1. Sign Dr. Childress’ petition to the American Psychological Association (APA).
The Petition to the APA is on Change.org.
2. Support Ginger Gentile’s Documentary Erasing Family.
Tomorrow, January 10th, add the frame #erased to your profile picture on facebook--it's easy.
- Go to Erased Family Facebook and “like” their page.
- Go to your facebook and click on “update profile picture,” and frames will come up.
- Select the frame #erased.
3. Support House Resolution 443.
Here is a summary of the bill:
HR 443 recognizes the importance, effectiveness, and need for trauma-informed care among existing federal programs and agencies. (Trauma-informed care takes into account a patient's history of trauma in the design of the patient's treatment.) Encourages the use of trauma-informed care within the federal government.
Expresses support for the designation of National Trauma Awareness Month and National Trauma-Informed Awareness Day.
Here is what to do:
Call, write, email or visit your state representative in Congress (your opinion will probably be taken by an aid who will relay whatever you tell him or her). They are paid to listen and relay you message. Tell them how law enforcement, child protective services and/or family court has ripped apart the bonds between you and your children because they are not trauma informed.
Believe me, they will listen! The aid that I talked to has a degree in psychology and worked at a psychiatric hospital! She was very empathetic and understanding.
If family court and/or child protective services become trauma-informed, it would end the nightmare!
Contact Congressman Mike Gallagher from Wisconsin and Congressman Danny Davis from Illinois at 202-224-3121. Thank them for co-sponsoring the bill. Be sure to tell them where you are from.
Currently 14 Representatives from 9 states have signed on as co-sponsors for this bill. If you are from on of these states please call the representative and thank them for co-sponsoring this bill. If you are from another state, please call your representative and urge them to sponsor this bill.
- Rep. Davis, Danny K. [D-IL-7]*,
- Rep. Duffy, Sean P. [R-WI-7]
- Rep. Napolitano, Grace F. [D-CA-32]
- Rep. Kind, Ron [D-WI-3]
- Rep. Grothman, Glenn [R-WI-6]
- Rep. Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [R-WI-5]
- Rep. Pocan, Mark [D-WI-2]
- Rep. Moore, Gwen [D-WI-4]
- Rep. Bacon, Don [R-NE-2]
- Rep. Kelly, Trent [R-MS-1]
- Rep. Comstock, Barbara [R-VA-10]
- Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]
- Rep. Love, Mia B. [R-UT-4]
- Rep. Delaney, John K. [D-MD-6]